Buttress are Cathedral Architects to the Grade I listed Southwell Minster, managing conservation and repairs to the 12th Century building which is the county church of Nottinghamshire.
Originally the site of a large Roman villa, in 956 the land was given to the Archbishop of York and a church was built. Construction on the present cathedral began in the early 12th century and towards the latter half of the century, the striking twin towers at the front of the building were built.
In 1711, a serious fire destroyed the main roof and caused damage to the stonework. Following this incident, the cathedral was extensively repaired and its present-day appearance owes much to a major restoration project undertaken by architect, Ewan Christian and completed in 1884. Today, the building is an excellent example of Romanesque and Gothic architecture.
Current restoration includes the re-roofing of the south choir aisle roof, funded by a First World War Centenary Cathedrals Repair Fund.
The roof, which is currently formed from slate, will be entirely replaced with lead to prevent the series of leaks the building has experienced in recent years. Some re-profiling of the parapet gutters and repairs to the roof timbers will also be carried out.
The Leaves of Southwell
We have been appointed to deliver the National Lottery Heritage Fund project, ‘The Leaves of Southwell', a £1.9million project that seeks to conserve and celebrate the Cathedral's internationally renowned naturalistic carvings.
Dating from 13th-century, the carvings are among the finest in Europe and have long been a source of inspiration to artists and writers. The project aims to enable more people to visit and enjoy the Leaves, the Minster and its environs and to secure the fabric of the building.
The wide-ranging scheme includes the renewal of the main east roof and the stabilisation of the Chapter House environment to preserve the stonework. Lighting of the Chapter House will be introduced for the first time together with underfloor heating.
Accessibility is at the heart of the project and a cantilever lifting platform will help visitors with mobility issues into the passageway leading to the Chapter House. Improved external lighting will also make the western paths and main north porch more useable.