The Church of the Ascension is a Grade II listed church in Lower Broughton. Designed by eminent Manchester architect, James Medland Taylor, the church dates from 1869 and is the only remaining 19th century building in the area, after much of the surrounding housing was cleared to make way for modern homes.
In February 2017, the church was devastated by a fire. The fire gutted the building leaving only the building shell and its internal columns.
Immediately after the fire, an assessment of the condition of the remaining structure was carried out. The practice's Heritage Consultancy team also undertook research into the building’s history to help identify surviving features of architectural, historic and social significance to help inform the restoration process.
The first phase of the project will involve structural work, re-roofing and masonry repairs. The second phase will involve £2.5m interior works. Wherever possible, surviving and structurally sound elements from the original church will be incorporated into the rebuild.